Welcome to the website of the Bedfordshire Local History Association (BLHA)
The BLHA has been the successful umbrella organisation for local history in the county for over thirty years. Members include: almost all of Bedfordshire’s local history societies, institutions such as the Bedfordshire Archives, and an increasing number of individuals.
The association promotes the study of local history within and around Bedfordshire and provides a forum for discussion and cooperation between interested groups, individuals and its members. We also seek to improve communications between local history societies and the broader historical network both regionally and nationally.
The BLHA organise a variety of events, such as walks, lectures, visits, workshops, exhibitions and conferences throughout the county, as well as publishing our newsletter, History in Bedfordshire, four times a year. We can also provide information and assistance in the study of local history.
BLHA About us
Please see all about us in our leaflet.
Bedfordshire Local History Association AGM & Conference – Saturday 20th June 2020
SAVE THE DATE – The next BLHA AGM and Conference will be hosted by Bedfordshire Historical Record Society. The theme is “Life on the Home Front in Bedfordshire during the Two World wars”. The draft programme is as follows:
Morning: The Home Front during World War One
- Stuart Antrobus: Bedford’s Home Front during WW1 as reflected in newspaper advertisements
- Bob Ricketts: Zeppelin Raids over Bedfordshire
- Robert Billington: Willington – a village during WW1
- Richard Galley: Bedford’s Highlanders – the Scottish ‘invasion’
Lunch: Buffet meal by The White Horse, Newnham Avenue
Tour: David Fowler, Senior Tour Guide, Bedford – guided ‘WWII’ walk around the town centre
[Coach transport to and from conference centre]
OR network, view the displays & purchase books at the venue
Afternoon: The Home Front during World War Two
- Stuart Antrobus: The Women’s Land Army in Bedfordshire
- Bedfordshire Archives: Luton at War – the impact of the war effort on industries & the town
- International Keynote Speaker: Dr Vernon Williams (Emeritus professor of History, Abiline Christian University, Texas, USA): Anglo-American Relationships Locally During WW2
Please click below to purchase a copy of this publication: